Social Icons

Thursday, January 12, 2012

Agreeing & Disagreeing



Read the following word groups aloud several times. Please don’t try to learn by-heart. Your sub-conscious mind will do that job, even without your knowledge, and rush onto your tongue whenever required. Yes, your job is just to read these word groups aloud several times.

A.
Asking whether agrees or not

Isn't it?
Is it?
Don’t you think so?
Don’t you agree?
Don’t you think?
Do you agree?
How about it?
Right
OK?
All right
I don’t think we’re going to agree on this, are we?
Wouldn't you agree?

B.
Agreeing Openly

I agree with you.
Yes
Yeah sure.
You’re right.
Of course, that’s a good idea.
Yes, that’s quite true.
Well, you have a point there.

C.
Disagreeing Openly

No, I can’t agree with you.
No, never.
No.
You’re wrong.
That’s not a good idea.
No, that’s not true.
You don’t have a point there.
I can’t accept what you say.
It is not so/like that.
It’s impossible.
It can’t be so.
No, I couldn’t go.
I don’t know.
It cannot be.
This is not true.

D.
Agreeing reluctantly

Well, maybe you’re right about that.
Well, I suppose you’re right.
Well, may be.
Well, you know, it’s a bit difficult, but I’ll try.
Well, you may have a point there.
Yes, you may be right about that.
Yes, you could be right.
Yes, as far as I know…
You’re right, but…
I agree with you but…
I would agree, only….
Oh well, I’ll give it a try.
Perhaps you’re right about it.
Perhaps you may have a point there.
No, I suppose not.

E
Disagreeing tactfully

There’s a lot of truth in what you say, but…
Perhaps, but don’t you think…?
Yes, but don’t you think…?
Forgive me if I’m wrong, but…
Actually/In fact/I think….
I have to contradict you, but I think you’re wrong.
Excuse me, but that isn’t so.
Sorry, I don’t quite see it the same way…
I’m not sure I quite agree to that part about….
I don’t think it’s quite that simple, you see…
That’s a good idea, but….
To a certain extent yes, but…
That would be great, except…
Yes, that’s quite true, but…
I see what you mean, but…
I take your point, but…
Well, you have a point, but he didn’t do it deliberately.
Well, you have a point there, but…
I can see why you think that but…
I can see why you say that but…
That’s one way of looking at it, but…
Yes, may be/perhaps/possibly…
In most cases you would be right, but…
Personally, I’m more inclined to agree with… agree to…
Personally, I wouldn’t go so far to say that…
Yes, you’re quite right, of course, but how can we convince him of it?
Yes, but wouldn’t you say that he was absolutely sincere?
Yes, but what about yesterday?
Yes, but I think it’s not so much a case of…
You’re probably right, but is he telling the truth?
Yes, but don’t forget…
Perhaps, but don’t you think it was a bit odd?
True, but how about all the good things he has done?
I think perhaps it’s more a case of...
But isn’t it more a matter of….
Actually, I found the book a bit difficult to understand.
I know nothing in this connection.

0 comments:

 

SPOKEN ENGLISH