Social Icons

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Changing the Subject in a Conversation


A.
The dialogue can be extended by introducing new topics. The following phrases or transitions can be used

Oh, by the way…
That reminds me of…
Speaking about/of…
Talking of …
Before I forget…
Oh, I nearly forgot…
Oh, while I remember…
I just thought of something…
Oh, there’s something else I wanted/meant to say/ask you…
Oh, I knew there was something I meant/wanted to tell you
Oh, I know what I wanted/meant to say/tell/ask you…
This has nothing to do with what we are talking about, but…
I know this is changing the subject, but…
Changing the subject for a minute…
Funny / strange you should mention/say that…
That’s funny, because something similar…
Incidentally…

B.
Interrupting a conversation

You can use the following interrupting strategies to break into a conversation:
I’m sorry to interrupt…
Sorry to break ink but…
Sorry, may I interrupt you for a second…
Excuse me /Pardon me for interrupting, but…
If I may interrupt for a second...

C.
Returning to the topic

As I was saying…
Now, what was I saying…?
Where was I…?
Going back to what I was saying…
Let’s go back to…
In any case….

D.
Common Fillers in Conversation

The thing is…
I see, what you mean..?
The sort/kind of thing…
It’s like this, you see…
Right then…
Let’s say…
What I’m trying to say is…
Now, where should I start…?
That’s a good/interesting question…
What I would say is….
How shall I put it…?
Let’s put it this way…
The best way I can answer that is…
I’ll tell you what…
Now let me think/see…
I’ll have to think about it…
To be quite honest/frank…
As a matter of fact….
Let’s see now….
I wonder if…

E.
Asking for Repetition

Sorry, what did you say? / What was that again?
What was the word/ the first word/his name/the last sentence again?
Would / Could you repeat that/ what you said / that name / the last word, please?
Could you repeat that for me, please?
Would you mind repeating that?
Sorry, can you say that again, please?
Sorry, would you mind speaking a bit slower?
I’m sorry; I couldn’t /didn’t hear what you said.
I’m sorry. When /who / where / what time did you say?
Hang on / just a minute, say that again? I didn’t quite catch that…
Did you say....?
Did I hear you right when you said…?
I would like to confirm that you said…
Excuse me, can I just confirm that….

0 comments:

 

SPOKEN ENGLISH