Social Icons

Thursday, January 12, 2012

Expressing ability & certainty



Read the following word groups aloud several times. Please don’t try to learn by – heart. Your sub-conscious mind will do that job, even without your knowledge, and rush onto your tongue whenever required. Yes, your job is just to read these word groups aloud several times.

A.
Expressing ability

He can swim.
When I was your age, I could run a kilometer in 7 minutes.
She knows how to drive.
She has ability, but she is lazy.
He’s a good musician.
You can do much better, I’m sure.
He can speak English fluently.

B.
Expressing inability

She cannot do it without help.
He can’t speak French very well.
I’m sorry; I won’t be able to help you.
I couldn’t answer his questions.
She won’t be able to swim so fast.
He’s incapable of behaving badly to anyone.
She’s incapable of hard work.
She’s incapable of telling a lie.
He’s unable to help her.
He can’t swim as far as you.
I tried to move it, but I couldn’t.
I want to come, but I’m unable to.
I've never been any good at repairing things.

C.
Asking about ability or inability

Can you play piano?
Can you drive a bus?
Can you ride a bicycle?
Can you understand the instructions?
Can you swim across the river?
Can’t you explain it more simply?
Is he able to follow the lessons?
Isn't he able to read or write?
Is he unable to walk without crutches?
Were you able to solve the problem?

D.
Expressing certainty

No doubt, he’s one of the best singers we have.
They’ll come, I’m sure of it.
I’m sure she’s right.
It’s quite certain; she was trying to fool you.
I’m convinced that we can’t trust his words.
They’ll be here before the party starts, I’m sure.
I’m sure he’s done the right thing.
I know what he’s going to do.
I’m absolutely sure that she is from the US.
There’s no doubt that she comes from a royal family.
He must have left by now.
I’m sure that she’s the one who did it.
It’s clear that she knows him.
There’s no doubt about it in my mind.
Obviously, he is against the proposal.
We were at fault.
I have no doubt about it.
I’m quite positive that they had met earlier.
He’s innocent.
I’m convinced of it.
I feel quite sure that it was Susan.
He doesn’t stand a chance of winning
I don’t doubt that he wanted to help her.
It’s impossible that he could have seen her there.

E.
Expressing uncertainty

I don’t believe this is true.
I can’t believe it I am not sure.
I don’t believe this is true.
I can’t believe it as I am not sure.
I’m in a dilemma
I’m just not sure.
I don’t think so.
I’m not sure about it.
I can’t make up my mind.
I can’t decide if I should invite them
I don’t think he is right
I haven’t a clue.
I’m not sure whether he knows it.
Do you think I should call him?
I’m in two minds whether to accept it or not.
I don’t believe him.
Perhaps the answer is to leave it to chance.
I don’t know whether to do it or not.
Oh, I feel in such a muddle.
Oh, I must say I find that very odd.
He can’t have known about it.
I can’t decide what to do.
I don’t believe that he can do it.
He can’t do it, I think.
If only I knew what to do.
I can’t decide whether to take it back to the shop or not.
I can’t believe it, I really can’t.
Tell me a way out.
I’m in two minds about doing it.

F.
Asking about certainty and uncertainty

Are you quite sure?
How sure are you?
Do you think she’ll come?
How do you know?
Are you absolutely certain…?
Do you believe that he did it?
Are you absolutely sure?
Was it, really?
Do you think so?
Do you suppose that he’s right?
 

SPOKEN ENGLISH