Social Icons

Thursday, January 12, 2012

Expressing Preference & Pleasure



Read the following word groups aloud several times. Please don’t try to learn by heart. Your sub – conscious mind will do that job, even without your knowledge, and rush onto your tongue whenever required. Yes, your job is just to read these word groups aloud several times.

A.
Expressing preference

I prefer tea, I think.
I prefer tea to coffee.
I prefer jogging to running.
I prefer my sleeves half.
I like a calm place.
I prefer this one to that, actually.
I think I’d prefer something a bit brighter.
I have a preference for art films.
I prefer to go for an outing rather than to stay in.
Perhaps, it’d be better if I spoke to him myself.

B.
Asking about preference

Which do you prefer?
Coffee or tea?
This one or that one?
Would you prefer something cheaper?
Which of these pictures do you like best?
Do you have any particular design in mind?
What do you prefer to read? Fiction or non-fiction?
Would you rather have another piece?
Is there anything he particularly likes?
Do you like it?
Would you like to go for a film?
How do you like it there?
Don’t you enjoy flying?
Do you think they’d like it if I do it?
Do you like the idea of spending all the time on the beach?
Is there anything she particularly dislikes?
I like the idea of it.
Don’t you like her brother?

C
Having no preference

It’s up to you.
As you like.
Whatever you like.
Whichever you like.
Give me any of them.
Either will do – I have no preference.
Either one will be all right.
Either of them will do.
You choose.
You decide.
I’m not particular.
I’m easy.
I don’t mind – I’ll have either.
I don’t mind where we go
We’ll go anywhere you like.
It really doesn’t matter to me.
It’s all the same to me.
Give me a book – any book will do.
I don’t care where we go.

D.
Expressing pleasure

I do enjoy listening to Lata Mangeshkar.
How lovely! I like playing golf.
Oh, that’s good!
I’m glad to hear it.
I quite like burger.
That’s very nice to hear.
I’m very happy for you.
I’m quite keen on music.
That was a very good concert.
This cake’s delicious!
I like watching cricket matches a lot!
I really enjoyed my stay in Ooty.
I just can’t wait to tell him the good news.
Oh, it really is most interesting!
Congratulations!
It was such an enjoyable party!

E.
Expressing displeasure

I didn't like it.
I hate it.
I don’t like fish at all.
It was absolutely lousy.
I don’t like fish very much.

Rotten!

I don’t like waiting.
It was shocking, really.
I dislike sweeping floors.
I don’t drink coffee.
I thought it was very hot.
I didn’t think much of it.
I don’t like asking for loan.
I don’t like full sleeves.
It was no good, really.
I have to mix business with politics.
I’m not fond of cricket.
I didn’t like what he said.
It was absolutely dreadful, actually.
I dislike homework.
I can’t stand this loud noise.

0 comments:

 

SPOKEN ENGLISH