Social Icons

Friday, January 27, 2012

Expressing Sympathy




A.
“Strange is our situation here upon earth. Each of us comes for a short visit, not knowing why, yet sometimes seeming to a divine purpose. From the standpoint of daily life, however, there is one thing we do know: That we are here for the sake of others… for the countless unknown souls with whose fate we are connected by a bond of sympathy. Many times a day, I realize how much my outer and inner life is built upon the labours of people, both living and dead, and how earnestly I must exert myself in order to give in return as much as I have received.”
-          Albert Einstein


B.
Practice the conversation given below

Mary   –   Hello, John, What’s that…? You look dejected. What’s wrong?
John    –   My grandma passed away in New York, Mary.
Mary   –   I’m terribly sorry to hear that, John. How old was she?
John    –   Seventy one… This December.
Mary   –  Then she wasn’t very old. Had she been ailing for some time?
John   –   So she had written in her last letter. She was having a hard time with many complications…
Mary  –  When is the funeral…?
John   –  It must have been over by now.
Mary –  I know how you feel… Words can’t comfort you when someone dear to you departs.

C.
Expressing sympathy


I’m so sorry to see you in this state.
I can’t tell you how sorry I am.
I’m so sorry to hear about that.
I know how it feels.
I’m extremely sorry to hear about it.
I’m sorry. What a bad luck!
I’m terribly sorry.
I’m sorry to hear that.
That’s terrible.
Oh, that’s unfortunate! I’m sorry.
Oh no! I’m ever so sorry.
Oh, bad luck. I’m terribly sorry.
Oh, that’s terrible.
Oh, how upsetting!
Oh, that’s rotten.
Oh, how annoying!
Bad luck! (Comment)
Bad luck, misfortune
He had the bad luck/misfortune…
She was unlucky.
Our deepest condolences/sympathy.
Our heartfelt sympathy/condolences.
Oh, it’s such a shame! That’s a pity!
That’s a crying shame – it really is!
You must be very upset about it.
You’ll get well soon.
What an awful situation for you!
What bad luck!
When did he die? Was it very sudden?
Did he suffer very much?
Bad luck, Mary. You can always try again.
How terrible for you!
Hard luck, John! I know you had worked so hard for the test.

D.
Expressing condolences

Please accept my condolences.
Mary, my deepest sympathy on your sad loss.
I heard about your tragic loss. I’m extremely sorry.
I heard what happened. My deepest sympathy, John.
I heard your uncle is dead. I’m sorry. I’m very sorry to hear your sister is dead.
I’m very sorry to hear about your father. He was such a good man.

E.
Expressing regret

I wish I hadn’t missed the Train.
I feel I shouldn’t have been so rude to the students. I’m so sorry if I’ve hurt you.
I’m sad to hear that.
I’m sorry I couldn’t come.
I regret missing the chance.
Isn't it a pity we missed that film!
If only I hadn’t failed the test!
If only I had listened to them!
That’s a great pity.
That’s a pity.
It’s a pity you couldn’t come.
It’s quite unfortunate.
Really, we should have invited them
Why did I ever say that?
I think it was mean of us not to help them out.
Nobody regrets this more than I do.

Crocodile tears
Appearing to be sad about something but not really feeling sad; showing false sympathy. Used when someone pretends to feel pity for someone else.

Examples: # please don’t shed your crocodile tears for me!
                # His sympathy was just a show of crocodile tears!

1 comments:

Rohman said...

Thanks, this great post and useful for my exam.

 

SPOKEN ENGLISH