Social Icons

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Invitation



It seems very simple, but in a real situation many people find it difficult to open their mouth. To avoid such embarrassing situations next time, learn the speech samples given below. Now read the following word groups aloud several times. Please don’t try to learn by-heart. Your sub-conscious mind will do that job, even without your knowledge, and rush onto your tongue whenever required. Yes, your job is just to read these word groups aloud several times.

A .
Making and Invitation
Why don’t you join us?
Come for a walk please. Let’s have a stroll.
Do you feel like going for a walk?
Do you like to walk?
I am going out for a walk. Do you feel like coming?
Would you like to come with us to the cinema?
Shall we go and see a film?
Would you like to see a film/ movie with us?
Would you spend the whole day with us?
How would you like to come and spend some time with us?
Would you join me in the dance?
Would you like to play cards?
I invite you to spend/enjoy next Sunday with my family.
Could you join us in a taxi-tour of Mysore?
Come in please.
Please, come in and make yourself at home?
Please be seated.
Come in and sit down.
Please have something cold.
Will you please come over here?
Will you join us for a cup of tea?
What about a cup of tea?
How about joining me for a cup of tea?
Do you feel like a cup of tea?
How about a cup of coffee?
Can you stay for the lunch?
What about having lunch with us tomorrow?
I would like you to have lunch with us tomorrow.
Why don’t you have lunch with me tomorrow?
How would you like to join us for lunch?
It’s 1’o clock, come’ on let’s go for lunch
Let’s go by bus.
Can I give you a lift?

B. 
Accepting an Invitation
I’II be glad to do so.
Thanks for your invitation to dinner.
We’II try to be punctual.
Thanks for inviting us to dinner.
We’ll try to come in time.
Thank you for your kind remembrance/invitation.
Many thanks for your kind invitation. I’II join you.
Thanks. What time would you like me to come?
Thank you so much, I’d like that very much.
It’s very good of you.
With pleasure!

C.
Refusing an Invitation
I won’t be able to come.
I won’t be able to do as you desire.
I don’t want to come.
I am sorry to refuse.
They won’t agree to this.
It’s not possible.
I regret, I can’t accept this invitation.
You don’t agree with me, do you?
How can I disobey you! But I’m helpless. Please don’t mind.
It can’t be arranged.
She’s averse to this idea/to it or she does not like it.
No, I don’t dance.
No I don’t know to play them
I’m sorry; I can’t accept your invitation to dinner.
I’m afraid; I won’t be able to come.
Thanks for your invitation, but you see, I won’t be free tomorrow.
I’m afraid I am busy on Sunday. How about Saturday?

D.
Exercise:
Invite your friend to your birth day party tomorrow. Write down the dialogue in detail in not less than 10 sentences

0 comments:

 

SPOKEN ENGLISH