Social Icons

Monday, January 23, 2012

Offers & Refusing Offers


A.
Listen to Mary and her guest David as Mary offers David some more food:

Mary: Are you alright there? Have another piece of chicken.
David: No, thanks. I’m fine.
Mary: Oh, go on. Look, just this little piece here. You’ve hardly eaten anything.
David: No, really. I couldn't.
Mary: Oh come on. It’s the last piece.
David: No, honestly. Thanks.
Mary: All right then. If you’re sure.

B.
Read the following word groups aloud several times. Please don’t try to learn by-heart. Your sub-conscious mind will do that job, even without your knowledge, and rush onto your tongue whenever required. Yes, your job is just to read these word groups aloud several times.

Offering food and drinks.

  • What would you like?
  • Can I get you anything?
  • Would you like a (coffee)?
  • Do you take it with (sugar)?
  • How about a (Scotch)?
  • Do you feel like (a drink)?
  • Let me get you (something to drink)
  • Coffee? With sugar?
  • Scotch? Ice?
  • Help yourself
  • Yes, please
  • Thanks/Thank you
  • That would be nice


Refusing offers

To refuse an offer, to be polite, use:

  • No thanks.
  • No thank you.
  • It’s all right.
  • No thanks, I don’t need (help).
  • No, I don’t want (any coffee), thanks.
  • It’s OK, thanks; I can (do it myself).
  • I’m afraid not.
  • Look, I can’t possibly let you…
  • Oh no…. I couldn’t eat any more…
  • Well, if I have to.
  • No, no... Please.
  • No, no… I’ve only just had lunch….
  • I’d rather not.
  • No, not for me. Thanks.
  • Not for the moment. Thank you.
  • Not this time, thanks.
  • I’m afraid I don’t eat fish.
  • Not just at the moment. Thank you.
  • I've had enough. Thank you.
  • I’m afraid I don’t drink coffee.
  • I’d love to, but I’m afraid I can’t.

To be more formal, use:

  • That’s very kind of you, but it’s all right.
  • Thank you for the offer, but I don’t
  • Thank you for your kind offer, but I regret we do not need (your services).
  • I don’t think I can accept this, you know…
  • Well, if you insist.
  • Well, if you really want me to...
  • If it’s all the same to you, I won’t.
  • Well, if you really think so.
  • Some other time, perhaps…
  • No, it’s far too much, really.
  • I’m not sure I can accept this, thank you.
  • No, thank you. It’s really superb, but I really couldn’t.
  • I really can’t eat another thing. Thanks.
  • No, I’m not very fond of it. Thanks all the same.
  • The cutlets are delicious. But I’m afraid I couldn’t. Thank you.
  • It looks delicious, but I’m afraid I couldn’t. Thank you.
  • It looks delicious, but I’m afraid I couldn’t.
  • No, thank you. I can’t manage any more.
  •  

To be informal, use:

  • No.
  • I don’t want (any).
  • Oh no, no…
  • Look, there’s no need…
  • No, thanks/Yes/Sure/No, thank you.
  • I don’t want (anything) at the moment.
  • I don’t feel like (a drink) just now. No, please don’t bother.
  • No, thank you. I’m just leaving.
  • I've had plenty. Thanks.

0 comments:

 

SPOKEN ENGLISH