Social Icons

Friday, January 27, 2012

Saying ‘no’ Nicely



Sometimes you need to say “no” when someone makes a suggestion, offers something or asks you to do something for them. Of course, saying just ‘no’ can be rather rude. Here are some of the most common ways to say 'no' nicely – or at least not rudely.

A.

  • Would you like to watch a film tonight?

           I’m afraid I can’t go out tonight. I’ve got a test tomorrow.
  • Why don’t we have some Chinese food?

          Sorry, but I don’t particularly like Chinese food.
  • How about taking a nice walk?

         I’d really rather not take a walk this afternoon.
  • Would you like to go to the museum with us?

        Thank you, but it’s not my idea of a fun afternoon out.
  • Let’s go for a drive

         Sorry, I’m not really fond of driving for the fun of it.
  • Why don’t you stay back tonight?

         That’s very kind of you, but I really have to get back to the city.


  • To refuse an invitation, to be polite, use;
    • Sorry, I can’t.
    • No. It’s a pity, but I’ll be (away) then…
    • I’m afraid I can’t make it (to your party).
  • To be more formal, use:
    • I’d love to, but I (have some work to do).
    • I’d very much like to accept (your kind invitation) but I regret that (I cannot).
  • To be informal, use:
    • No. I can’t.
    • No. I’m working / I’m at something else.
  • To refuse an offer, to be polite, use:
    • No thanks/No thank you.
    • It’s all right.
    • No thanks, I don’t need (help).
    • No, I don’t want (any coffee), thanks.
    • It’s OK, thanks, I can (do it myself).
  • To be more formal, use:
    • That’s very kind of you, but it’s all right.
    • Thank you for the offer, but I don’t need (it).
    • Thank you for your kind offer, but I regret we do not need (your services).
  • To be informal, use:
    • No.
    • I don’t want (any).
  • To refuse to be persuaded, use:
    • No, really.
    • Really, I don’t want any.
    • I really don’t (want to go out).
    • I really can’t (have another drink).
    • I’m not going to change my mind.
    • You can’t persuade me.
    • You’re not going to change my mind.
    • Don’t go on about it.
    • I've made up my mind.
    • I’m not (buying it), and that’s…


B.
Some commonly used Negative Statements

I said nothing of the sort.
I hardly know that person.
I cannot do this.
I can’t accept what you say.
I think you’re mistaken.
I don’t think they have.
I don’t know how to swim.
I don’t know.
I deny.
I refuse I don’t agree.
I don’t believe. I have no complaints.
I’m afraid that’s not what really happened.
I’m quite sure I never asked you to do it.
I don’t have any complaint.
I hate to contradict you, but I think you’re wrong.
I hate to contradict you, but I didn’t say that.
I certainly did not.
Don’t be so ridiculous!
Don’t cheat anybody.
Don’t be stubborn.
Don’t tread on the log grass.
Don’t do such mischief again
Don’t criticize others.
Don’t lose your temper. Don’t get angry.
Don’t be rude.
Don’t speak harshly to anybody.
Don’t be proud of your influence.
Don’t find fault with others.
No, I really don’t mind driving.
No, I’m afraid you haven’t.
No, he hasn’t.
No, you haven’t told me.
No, I didn’t.
No, that’s not what I meant.
No, I couldn’t go.
That isn’t true.
That’s not what I intended, actually.
That’s a lie.
That’s absolutely ridiculous.
That’s not what I said.
This is not true.

Remember
Notice how we often say ‘thank you’ in some way before refusing the offer. When someone makes an offer it is polite to first thank that person and then say no, often offering an excuse for not wanting or being able to do something. Just saying ‘no’ is considered very rude behavior indeed!

1 comments:

Rehana said...

Venkat, very interesting topics...
I just thought of having a glance, red first line and completely red the full story of this post.
You are writing nice blog.

All the best. Keep up the good work!


From,
Rehana (Admin, http://www.sarkaari-naukri.in)

 

SPOKEN ENGLISH