Social Icons

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Saying that you Understand / or Not


Read the following word groups aloud several times. Please don’t try to learn by-heart. Your sub-conscious mind will do that job, even without your knowledge, and rush onto your tongue whenever required. Yes, your job is just to read these word groups aloud several times.

A.
Saying that you understand

I understand.
I can understand.
I understand how you feel.
I can understand German, but I can’t speak it.
Yes, I get the point.
Right. I think I’ve got the idea now.
I think I’ve got that.
Okay. I get the picture now.

B.

Saying you don’t understand

  • When you don’t hear something, use:
    • Sorry?
    • What was that?
    • What did you say?
    • I didn’t hear that I couldn’t hear that

  • To ask people to repeat it, use:
    • Could you say that again?
    • Say that again.
    • Pardon?
    • Could you repeat that, please?
    • What did you say the measurements were?
    • Can you say it again, please?
    • Could you say that again, please?
    • Could you explain it again, please?

  • To be more formal, use:
    • I didn’t catch that
    • Sorry, I missed that
    • Would you say that again?

  • To be informal, use:
    • What?

  • When you can’t understand a phrase, use:
    • What does (that phrase) mean?
    • I don’t understand (that).
    • I don’t know (that word).
    • I understood (this), but not the bit after.
    • Did you say (this) or (that)?
    • What does it mean?
    • I can’t understand Spanish.
    • I can’t quite make them out.
    • Can you speak a bit more slowly?
    • I can’t understand you.
    • I can’t make any sense out of it.

  • To be formal, use:
    • I’m afraid I don’t understand (that)
    • Sorry, my Hindi isn’t very good.
    • I missed/lost half of that
    • Could you spell that?
    • Could you write that down?

  • When people don’t understand you, use:
    • Perhaps I used the wrong (word).
    • I’ll try again
    • I’m sorry, I don’t follow.
    • You’re speaking rather too quickly for me to understand.
    • I don’t understand what you’re driving at.
    • I didn’t quite follow what you said.
    • Excuse me, but what’s your name again?
    • What did you say?
    • I’m sorry, I didn’t hear that.
    • Sorry, I didn’t get that.
    • Sorry. What was that?
    • How’s that?
    • I beg your pardon.
    • What was that?
    • I didn’t quite get that.

  • When someone is difficult to understand, use:
    • Could you speak more slowly, please?
    • Slower, please.
    • Slow down.
    • I can’t understand you.
    • You’re speaking too quickly for me
    • I don’t understand.
    • I didn’t quite catch what you
    • I’m afraid I didn’t understand.
    • Can you translate that?
    • Do you speak any (other language)?

0 comments:

 

SPOKEN ENGLISH