Social Icons

Thursday, February 2, 2012

Familiar Expressions to Stimulate Listeners



A.

It’s a good idea to use familiar expressions to stimulate the listeners. It’s all in the way it’s done, which should be both original and tasteful. Use the present tense as much as possible, as well as the imperative, and avoid tenses like the past perfect, past conditional, or subjective. Also, consider how to use silence to your advantage. And work on your English, to avoid common faults. Create smooth transitions between sections of your conversation. Here are some short words and phrases that are good for transitions. Try to complete the following:


Actually…
But…
Who more than…
On the other hand…
What’s more…?
On the contrary…
In fact….
Once again…
Therefore….
And….
For example…
Similarly…
Another thing….
Now….
A second point….
Here….Immediate/….
In the same way…
Since…
So…Then….
In other words…
Finally…
Of course….
In spite of / Despite everything….
And that’s not at all…
It’s even better than that…
Wait, the best is yet to come…
But first, you should know a few things….
Now, and this is the most important…
And you will see why…
Now you understand why…
But there’s one thing more you have to do…
You might be asking yourself…
As you already know…


B.
Check Questions

The following phrases may be used to check whether the listener understands what you are saying along with possible responses:


Okay? Right?
Is that clear?
Are you with me?
Got/Get it so far?
Am I making sense?
Do/Can you follow me?
Does that make sense to you?
Am I making/Have I made myself clear?
Do you see what I mean / What I’m getting at?


Do I make myself clear/understood?
Do you understand me?

C.
Responses


Mmmm/Uh-huh.
Yes, sure…
Oh yes, go on
Of course
Yes, get on with it More or less, yes
Sort of Well, not really
Well


D.
Checking that the listener is listening


Are you listening?
Did you hear what I said?
What do you think?
Do you agree?
Can you summarize what I just said?
Are you all right? / Is there anything wrong?


E.
When the listener has not understood.


What I said was…
What I really mean is/meant was…
What I’m really saying/ trying to say is…
What I meant was….
That’s not really what I was getting at...
Let me put it in another way….
That’s not quite what I meant to say it’s not actually / quite that simple / complicated
There’s more to it than that….
It’s really more a case/question of….
Sorry, let me explain it more clearly/in another way /better
That’s not exactly what I meant to say.


F.
When the listener misunderstood you and started to get upset:


No, don’t get me wrong; what I meant to say was….
No, don’t misunderstand me…
You must have misunderstood me….
No, I didn’t mean that…
That’s not what I said /Meant.
That’s really not how I meant for it to be received.
I certainly didn’t mean for it to be delivered in that way.
Yikes, let me start allover again.


G.
Telling a story or presenting facts in an interesting or dramatic way.


You’ll never believe this/it…
You won’t / may not believe this/it, but….
This hard to believe, but…
Believe it or not…
Can you imagine?
And just imagine…
Imagine my surprise when…
I was surprised to find out…
Surprisingly/Strangely enough….
I couldn’t believe my eyes/ears!
Do you know what happened then?
What do you think he did?
And you know what?
Guess what?
You’ll never guess what happened next!
Are you sitting down? You’d better sit down!
And then, to add insult to injury…
As if that wasn’t enough…


H.
Adding surprising or shocking elements to a story

And that’s not all of it!
And there’s more!
But wait, there’s more!
And there’s something else, too!
And that’s not the end of it!
And listen to this!

I.
EXERCISE

Today, Sharukh Khan and Hrithik Roshan were running away from paparazzi when they got in your cab. You took them to Mumbai Airport. Tell your friend about what happened.

0 comments:

 

SPOKEN ENGLISH