Social Icons

Friday, February 24, 2012

Talking about Health



A.

Personal Health - Conversation

John     :           You look very pale.
David  :           I feel rather dizzy, and I have a headache.
John     :           Maybe you’re catching a cold.
David  :           You’re probably right.
John     :           You went to the doctor today, didn’t you?
David  :           Yes, I go once a year for checkup.
John     :           What did he say?       
David  :           He said my health was good.
John     :           Have you put on weight recently?
David  :           I probably have.
John     :           Maybe you don’t get enough exercise.
David  :           I really don’t, but I’m careful about eating.
David  :           You certainly look very healthy to me.
John     :           I’ve been feeling very well lately.
David  :           Haven’t you gotten a little heavier?
John     :           Yes, I think I have.
David  :           You certainly look happy about something.
John     :           I’ve lost some weight.
David  :           you look much better.
John     :           I feel better too.


B.

Describing general health

  • I’m not fit
  • I’m usually healthy
  • I have a (bad back)
  • My (heart) is (not) very strong
  • I have to take (pills)
  • I have to follow a diet/eat special food
  • I’m allergic to (penicillin)
  • I have a high/low blood pressure
  • I have a (stomach) illness
  • I had (an accident last year)
  • I’ve (never) been in hospital
  • The cavity is killing me.
  • She poked me in the eye.
  • My head is spinning.
  • His snoring is getting worse.
  • I feel like I’ve been run over by a freight train.
  • My head is stuffed up.
  • I didn’t sleep a wink last night.

C.

Describing symptoms

  • I’m not feeling well
  • I’ve been feeling. (tired)
  • I haven’t been sleeping
  • I haven’t been eating well
  • I can’t (sleep)
  • I have a headache
  • I have a stomach ache
  • I have a ear ache
  • I have a pain in my (back)
  • I think it’s (flu)
  • It may be (from playing tennis)
  • I think it may be (something I ate)
  • It’s probably (the weather)
  • I’m feeling worse
  • I’m feeling better
  • It’s getting worse
  • I’m/It’s the same
  • The medicine/pills helped/didn’t help

D.

Asking about health

  • How are you feeling (today)?
  • How is the (leg)?
  • Are you feeling any better/worse?
  • What did the doctor say?
  • Do you have any medicine/pills to take?
  • Have you had a (check-up)?

E.

How…? / What …like? – for health and character

Here there is a much clearer distinction in use. How…? Refers to a person’s health or mood and what….like? to a person’s character:

How’s Bob today? ~ Very tired, I would say. He was out all night at Tricia’s party.
What’s Bob like? ~ Very sociable. He’s the life and soul of any party.
What’s his wife like? ~ She’s serious and shy. I’ve never seen her smile.

0 comments:

 

SPOKEN ENGLISH