Social Icons

Monday, February 13, 2012

Telephone: Taking & Leaving Message




A.

Telephone: Taking a message

There are a number of phrases and idioms that are only used when telephoning. Let’s first take a look at a sample dialogue:

Operator          : Hello, Frank and Brothers, How may I help you?
David               : This is David Jackson. Can I have extension 210?
Operator          : Certainly, hold on a minute, I’ll put you through…
Frank               : Bob Peterson’s office, Frank speaking.
David               : This is David Jackson calling, is Bob in?
Frank               : I’m afraid he’s out at the moment. Can I take a message?
David               : Yes, Could you ask him to call me at 712 456-8965.
                          I need to talk to him about the Nuovo line, it’s urgent.
Frank               : Could you repeat the number please?
David               : Yes, that’s 712 456-8965, and this is David Jackson.
Frank               : Thank you Mr. Jackson, I’ll make sure Bob gets this ASAP.
David               : Thanks, bye.
Frank               : Bye.
B.

Taking a message

  • Can I take a message?
  • Would you like to leave a message?
  • Can I give him/her a message?
  • I’ll tell Mr. Jones that you called.
  • I’ make sure Mr. Jones rings you as soon as possible.
  • At what number can you be reached?
  • Could (Can, May) I take a message?
  • Could (Can, May) I tell him who is calling?

C.

Putting someone through

  • I’ll put you through to… (put through – phrasal verb =’connect’)
  • I’ll connect you to…
  • I’ll put… on the line
  • I’m sorry, there’s no reply from Mr. Jones
  • Can you hold the line?
  • Can you hold on a moment?

D.

Asking someone to call back

  • Thank you for waiting. I’m afraid Mr. Jones is not in at the moment.
  • I’m sorry; Mr. Jones is in a meeting.
  • Can/ Could you call back later in the day?
  • I’m afraid … is not available at the moment.
  • The line is busy… (When the extension requested is being used)
  • Mr. Jackson isn’t in…
  • Mr. Jackson is out at the moment…

E.

When someone is unavailable, you can use:

  • I’ll wait/I’ll hang on.
  • When can I ring him back?
  • Well, please find him/please interrupt him.
  • Will you please make sure (he) rings me back?
  • Where is he?
  • When will he be in?
  • Where can I find him?

F.

Leaving a Message in the Answering Machine

Sometimes, there may not be anyone to answer the telephone and you will need to leave a message in the answering machine. Follow this outline to make sure that the person who should receive your message has all the information he/she needs.

1. Introduction ------- Hello this is Kate. OR Hello, My name is Kate Thomson
(More formal).
2. State the time of day and your reason for calling - - - - - It’s ten in the morning. I’m phoning (calling, ringing) to find out if … / to see if … / to let you know that . . . / to tell you that….
3. Make a request - - - Could you call (ring, telephone) me back? / Would you mind ….? /
4. Leave your telephone number - - - - - My number is …. / You can reach me at …. /Call me at ….
5. Finish - - - Thanks a lot, by. / I’ll talk to you later, bye.

EXERCISE

You are a receptionist at Thomas & George. A client would like to speak to Ms. Braun, but she is out of the office. Take a message and make sure you get the following information:

  • Name and telephone number – asks the client to spell the surname.
  • Message the client would like to leave for Ms Braun.
  • How late Ms Braun can call the client at the given telephone number.

1 comments:

Owen Middleton said...

Thanks for sharing the tips on taking and leaving a message. Very helpful indeed for businesspeople who are catering to the clients' calls.

 

SPOKEN ENGLISH