Social Icons

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Using Expressions of Time and the Calendar.




A.

Dialogue

Speaker 1        :           I’m afraid we’re going to be late.
Speaker 2        :           How much time is left?

Speaker 1        :           We’ve got about thirty or forty minutes.
Speaker 2        :           That should be plenty of time.

Speaker 1        :           Whom are you waiting for?
Speaker 2        :           We’re waiting for our friend.

Speaker 1        :           What are you looking so angry for?
Speaker 2        :           Because she’s twenty minutes late already.

Speaker 1        :           Aren’t we going to be late for the meeting?
Speaker 2        :           No. I think we’ll be on time.

Speaker 1        :           Well, I want to be there in time to get a good seat.
Speaker 2        :           The meeting doesn’t start for another twenty minutes.

Speaker 1        :           Are we late or not?
Speaker 2        :           No. In fact we’re early according to my watch.

Speaker 1        :           Hadn’t we better go inside?
Speaker 2        :           All right, but we’re really about a half an hour early.


B.

Conversation

When is your first class?
When do you get back here, then?
He will be back in ten or fifteen minutes.
How long has he been out of his cabin?
He’s been out since ten o’clock.
Then he’s been out for an hour or more.
I got to the cafeteria around noon.
I was there, but I didn’t see you.
I think I left a few minutes after twelve.
I must have just missed you, then.
Our friends will meet us here.
Will they come here right after lunch?
No. They won’t be here until three o’clock.
Then I’ll come a little before three.
Let’s call Mary.
Let’s not call her right now.
May be this is a bad time to call.
Let’s wait until seven or seven thirty.
Were you at home last night?
No, but I was at home the night before last.
Will you be at home tomorrow night?
No, but I’ll be at home the next night.
Didn’t your friends leave the week before last?
Right, they left just two weeks ago.
Will they get back next week?
Yes. According to them, they’ll arrive a week from today.
Did Mary get back last week?
Yes. She got back on Thursday.
How long was she away?
She was out of town for ten days.
When did George arrive in town?
He flew in last Thursday afternoon.
John has been here since that last Thursday too.
Both of them plan to leave the day after tomorrow.
How long have you been here?
I’ve been here for two months.
How often do you get here?
I get to this city about twice a year.

C.

Dates and Periods of Time

I’ve worked here since March.
How long ago did you finish school?
I finished school three years ago.
Didn’t you study English in school?
Yes, but that was many years ago.
How many years ago was it?
At least six.
Did your friends arrive here in the fall?
Yes, they did. They got here in October.
Do you know the exact date they arrived?
Yes, I do, they got back on October eleventh.
Have you been living here very long?
No. I’ve only been here since last spring.
Are you going to stay until Christmas?
No. I’ll probably leave for France in a month or two.
I worked on my report until midnight last night.
Do you expect to finish the work by tomorrow night?
Well, I certainly can’t finish it before that time.

D.

Time and the Calendar

When does February have twenty-nine days?
In a leap year.
How often is there a leap year?
Every four years.
How many days are there in leap year?
There are three hundred and sixty six.
How many weeks are there in a year?
There are fifty-two weeks in a year.
What are the seasons in this country?
Winter, spring, summer and fall.
How many months to each season?
There are three months in each season.
Today is the first day of spring.
I didn’t realize it.
Aren’t you glad it’s here?
I’m always glad when winter is over.
The weather is perfect today, isn’t it?
Yes. I like this season of the year very much.
Most people like this season best of all, don’t they?
Well. I’m sure a lot of people do.

0 comments:

 

SPOKEN ENGLISH