Social Icons

Saturday, March 24, 2012

Getting Change, Lending and Borrowing Money




A.
Getting Change

  • Have you got any change?
  • What do you need?
  • I need change for a quarter.
  • Here are two dimes and five pennies
  • Can you change this five-dollar bill?
  • How do you want it?
  • A five and five ones, please.
  • Here you are.
  • Do you have change for a dollar bill?
  • Just a minute and I’ll see.
  • I need some quarters.
  • Can you break a twenty dollar bill?
  • Do you have change for a dollar?
  • I have some coins I need to change.
  • I need five dollars in quarters.

B.

Talking about Money

  • I have some coins I need to change.
  • How much money do you have?
  • Not very much.
  • Do you have many dollar bills?
  • Not very many, I’m afraid.
  • I think I’ve lost my money.
  • Oh, that’s what’s bothering you.
  • It’s a good reason to be upset, isn’t it?
  • Are you sure you lost your money?
  • I’m sure I did.
  • Would you please look again?
  • I will, but I’m sure it’s not here.
  • How many pennies did you have in your valet?
  • I had exactly five hundred of them.
  • What did you do with them?
  • I put them in rolls of fifty pennies each.
  • Have you made very much money this year?
  • Not an awful lot.
  • How hard have you tried?
  • Not as hard as I could have, I’m afraid.
  • How much did you make this week?
  • Two Hundred dollars.
  • Is that your take-home pay?
  • Yes, it is.
  • I've got to pay a lot of bills.
  • And I’ve got to pay my rent today.
  • Money goes very fast these days, doesn’t it?
  • It certainly does.
  • Did you put the money in the bank?
  • I deposited part of it and spent the rest.
  • Do you have an account at that bank?
  • How much do you have to keep in the account?
  • There’s no minimum.

C.

Lending and Borrowing Money

  • Could you lend me a dollar until tomorrow?
  • I can if you have change for a five.
  • I wish I did, but I don’t.
  • Well, we can get it changed easily.
  • I need about ten dollars.
  • What do you need it for?
  • I need it for books and supplies.
  • O.K., I’ll lend it to you.
  • How much do you need?
  • Could you spare four or five dollars?
  • What did you need the money for yesterday?
  • I wanted it for a new suit.
  • Did you get the money?
  • Yes. I borrowed it from a friend.
  • How much change have you got?
  • Two quarters, two nickels, and a dine.
  • That’s not enough to change this dollar bill.
  • I’ll lend you all of this change if you want it.
  • I think I can borrow enough money to go.
  • You’re on vacation with your friend in Las Vegas.
  • You have just spent all your money.
  • Your friend is upstairs in the hotel room.
  • Call your friend and ask to borrow $60.

D.

Describing price changes

  • The price has gone up.
  • It went up (last month/sharply/gradually)
  • The cost of (food) is rising.
  • There was a rise in price.
  • In (summer) prices should go down.
  • The cost of (this) went down (last year)
  • The price of (oil) may drop.
  • We had a drop in (salary costs).
  • It was a sharp drop/a slight drop
  • There was a fall in prices.
  • Prices stayed the same.
  • The cost of living will stay level.
  • Prices are at about the same level.

E.

Talking about living costs

  • (Houses) are very expensive/cheap
  • We can/can’t afford (chocolate).
  • It’s (not) hard/difficult.
  • Some people find it difficult to cope.
  • It’s very hard for (people on a pension).
  • We’re better off/worse off.
  • What’s it like in (your country)?
  • How is it with you?

F.

Talking about tax

  • The government takes (30%) in tax
  • You have to pay income tax/sales tax.
  • I pay (a third) in tax.
  • (10%) of your salary goes for insurance.
  • The taxes are high/low.
  • There’s good social security/insurance.
  • You get a pension at (60).
  • How much do you pay in (income tax)?
  • What are the taxes like?

0 comments:

 

SPOKEN ENGLISH