Social Icons

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Using the Post Office




A.

Conversation

Customer         : Please give me ten Five Rupees stamps.
Clerk               : Here they are.

Customer         : How much is that?
Clerk               : Fifty Rupees.

Customer         : I’d like to mail this Letter.
Clerk               : How do you want to send it?

Customer         : By ordinary mail.
Clerk               : That’ll be five rupees per letter.

Customer         : I want to send this letter by Registered post.
Clerk               : All right. I’ll weigh it.

Customer         : How much will it cost to go that way?
Clerk               : It’ll cost Twenty five rupees.

Customer         : What’s the fastest way to send this Letter?
Clerk               : By Speed Post, but it’ll be expensive.

Customer         : How much will it cost to send it by Speed Post?
Clerk               : Just a moment. Let me weigh it.

Customer         : Do you sell envelopes here?
Clerk               : Only envelopes with stamps printed on them.

B.

Locating a post office

  • Is there a post office near here?
  • Where is the (nearest) post office?
  • Where is the main/central post office?
  • Where’s the nearest post/mail box?
 C.

Talking about postage

  • How much is it for a letter to (Japan)?
  • What is the letter rate to (Europe)?
  • Is there a special rate for (cards)?
  • How much is this by airmail to (Canada)?
  • Three to Europe, please (getting stamps).
  • I’d like to send this by (parcel post)
  • Could I have six stamps for (postcards)?
  • When will this get to (Athens)?
  • How long does it take (by airmail)?
  • When should this reach (London)?

D.

Postage problems

  • This arrived damaged/torn.
  • I’ve been expecting a package from (Denmark).
  • It was posted two weeks ago.
  • Could you look into this?
  • Can you find out what’s gone wrong?
  • Can you check for me?

E.

Special services

  • I want to send a telegram.
  • What’s the fastest/safest way of sending this?
  • I want to send this express to Cairo.
  • I want this insured.
  • I want this to go registered mail.
  • I’d like proof of posting.
  • I want to send it “recorded delivery”
  • Can I have a customs form, please?

F.

Sending and Receiving Letters

  • Are you writing a letter?
  • Yes. I’m writing to my family.
  • Do you write letters very often?
  • Yes. I write five or six letters a week.
  • No. I hate to write letters.
  • Does John get many letters?
  • Yes. He gets some everyday.
  • Charles wrote me a long letter.
  • When did he write to you?
  • He sent the letter to me about a week ago.
  • He hasn’t even sent me a postcard yet!
  • We wrote to Mary’s sister last week.
  • Has she written to you yet?
  • No, she hasn't.
  • She wrote to me a few days ago.
  • Have you written to your brother yet?
  • Yes, but I haven’t mailed the letter yet.
  • Did your friend in Japan write to you?
  • Yes. I got a letter from her yesterday.
  • Did you write a reply to John’s letter?
  • Yes. I wrote one on Tuesday.

0 comments:

 

SPOKEN ENGLISH