Social Icons

Thursday, April 12, 2012

At a Restaurant


A. Ordering a Meal: Dialogue

  • Hi. How are you doing this afternoon?
  • Fine, thank you. Can I have the menu, please?
  • Certainly, here you are.
  • Thank you. What’s today’s special?
  • Grilled tuna and cheese on rye.
  • That sounds good. I’ll have that.
  • Would you like something to drink?
  • Yes, I’d like a coke.
  • Thank you. (returning with the food) Here you are. Enjoy your meal!
  • That’ll be $6.75
  • Here you are. Keep the change!
  • Thank you! Have a nice day!
  • Bye.

B. At a restaurant: Dialogue


  • Could we have a table for four?
  • There’s a nice table right there by the window.
  • May we also have the menu right away?
  • I’ll get the menu immediately.
  • Would you care for some roast beef?
  • No. I’ll have sirloin steak.
  • How do you like your steak?
  • I’d prefer it medium rare.
  • Would you like to have soup?
  • Yes. Creamed onion, please.
  • Mashed, boiled, or French-fried potatoes?
  • I’ll have the French-fried.
  • What vegetables would you like with your dinner?
  • Carrots, please, and corn with cream sauce.
  • What kind of dressing do you want on your salad-French?
  • I believe I’ll take Russian dressing tonight.
  • Would you like to order a dessert?
  • What kinds of pie do you have?
  • Peach, lemon, cream and apple.
  • I’d like lemon cream, please.

C. When going into a restaurant, use:


·         We’d like to eat.
·         Could I have a table for (five)?
·         Could I have the menu, please?
·         I’d like to see the menu.

D. Ordering


  • Can you recommend the (fish)?
  • What do you recommend?
  • What is this?
  • How is this made?
  • Is this fish?
  • I’ll have the soup.
  • I won’t have a starter/an hors d’oeuvre.
  • I’ll just have a main course.
  • I’ll have the (steak) but no (chips) please.
  • I don’t want any dessert/anything else.
  • (My friend) will have a (beer).

E. Paying


  • The bill, please.
  • Could I have the bill?
  • The check, please
  • I’d like the check
  • Is service included?
  • Does this include service and tax?
  • What’s this charge for?
  • Are you sure this is right?
  • There’s a mistake in the bill.
  • You’ve charged me for (two bottles of wine).
  • Do you accept (credit card)?

You want to reserve a table for five at a restaurant called the Slanted Door. Call the restaurant and make a reservation for 8:00 this Saturday

You work at a restaurant called the Slanted Door. Answer the phone. (The restaurant is completely booked for Friday and Saturday nights this week.)

0 comments:

 

SPOKEN ENGLISH