Social Icons

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Talking about Eating



A. Starting the meal


  • It’s ready.
  • Sit down/Shall we sit down?
  • Dinner is ready.
  • This looks/smells good.
  • I’m looking forward to this.

B. During the meal


  • Pass the salt, please?
  • Could you pass the (salt), please?
  • May I have the (salt), please?
  • Could I have some more potato?
  • It’s very nice/delicious.
  • What’s the name of this dish?
  • Would you like some more potato?
  • Is everything all right?
  • Would you prefer tea or coffee?

C. After the meal


  • Thank you for (the lunch).
  • Thank you for (a delicious dinner).
  • That was very nice/delicious.
  • I enjoyed that.
  • I hope you enjoyed it.
  • I’m glad you liked it.

D. Conversation


  • I am feeling hungry.
  • What would you like to eat?
  • What pickles do you have?
  • Have you had your breakfast?
  • Not yet, Mary.
  • Prepare/make the breakfast.
  • Let’s have breakfast together.
  • Just taste it.
  • No, I have to attend a party.
  • What sweet dishes do you have?
  • Has John finished with his meals?
  • Hurry up. Food has been served.
  • You hardly had anything.
  • Have a little more.
  • Please have some more.
  • Get me a cup of coffee.
  • Pour the coffee.
  • Pass me the salt please.
  • Give me some fresh butter please.
  • Get/bring some more.
  • Help yourself, please.
  • Change the plates,
  • Are you vegetarian?
  • No, I am a non-vegetarian.
  • I’ll dine out today.
  • Would you have milk?
  • I have just sat down to have milk?
  • I’m not fond of rice.
  • Will you have some bread and butter?
  • Two chapattis have not been enough for me.
  • Pea-n-potato is my favorite dish.
  • It is dinner time, get ready.
  • There is less salt in the vegetable curry.
  • Do not take water on an empty stomach.
  • What is the menu for today?
  • Bring a pinch of salt from your mother.
  • I’m still thirsty.
  • They have invited me to lunch.
  • Please have dinner with me.
  • Will you have boiled eggs or fried ones?
  • There were seven items/dishes.
  • I’m fond of mushed potatoes.
  • May I have a little/some more gravy?
  • My wife relishes broiled potatoes.
  • He’s a glutton.
  • He is a gourmet.
  • We have an exclusive Indian cuisine.
  • What did you have for breakfast?
  • Had coffee, toast, and eggs.
  • How did you have your eggs?
  • Soft-boiled, as usual.
  • How about a cup of coffee?
  • That sounds good.
  • I always enjoy coffee after work.
  • I like it best in the morning.
  • Would you like to have an orange?
  • Thanks, but I don’t think so.
  • Oranges are good for you.
  • I know, but I had one about an hour ago.
  • Where did you have lunch yesterday?
  • I ate at the cafeteria with John.
  • Did you have a good lunch?
  • Yes. I had a hot roast beef sandwich.
  • There’s a cafeteria over there.
  • Didn’t you eat before we left?
  • Yes, but I’m hungry again.
  • Well, I’m still digesting my lunch.

0 comments:

 

SPOKEN ENGLISH