Social Icons

Sunday, April 22, 2012

Talking About School


A. Talking about the system

  • It’s a Vocational training school.
  • It specializes in technical subjects.
  • There are 700 pupils/students.
  • It’s quite big/not very big.
  • We follow trimester system.
  • There are three terms a year.
  • You can leave school at 16.
  • You can start college at 17.
  • We start at 8:30 and go on till 1:30
  • We have Saturdays off.
  • We work a half day on Wednesdays.
  • We go to lessons/lectures.
  • We (don’t) have to work very hard.
  • We (don’t) do a lot of sport.
  • We have a lot of homework.

B. Talking about exams

  • He’s taking an exam in June
  • We’re working for our exams.
  • It’s a school leaving certificate.
  • It’s for a diploma.
  • The exams are hard/easy.
  • Last year, I failed/passed.
  • You need it to get a good job.

C. Talking about subjects

  • We study physics.
  • I find math’s easy/difficult…
  • She’s not good at languages
  • We’re not taught art.
  • My favourite subject is/was history
  • I like/liked chemistry.
  • We started a new subject is/was history
  • We haven’t the facilities for sport.
  • She’s not a good teacher/lectures on art
  • She’s not very strict.

D. About School: Dialogue

  • Does Mary madam teach every day?
  • No. Only Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.
  • Is the teaching right now?
  • No, she isn’t. She’s working in her office.
  • Why doesn’t Jim practice anymore?
  • He doesn’t have much free time.
  • He used to have a lot of free time, didn’t he?
  • Yes, he did, but now he’s going to school every night.
  • What are you studying this semester?
  • Science, English, and Math.
  • Which do you like best?
  • English really interests me the most.
  • Not all students learn their lessons meticulously.
  • Well, I do mine.
  • But your brother often does his at the last moment.
  • And my sister always does hers a day late.
  • How come you aren’t at school today?
  • There aren’t any classes this week.
  • Well, how come there aren’t any classes?
  • This is our spring vacation.

E. Going to School

  • I’m worried about my school work.
  • What’s the problem?
  • I think I’m going to fail the examinations.
  • Maybe you won’t if you have more confidence.
  • What are you going to study at the University?
  • Probably Physics and English.
  • You’ll have to work hard.
  • Yes. I’ve heard that it’s a difficult school.
  • What did you apply for?
  • I applied for a scholarship.
  • What school did you apply to?
  • I applied for a scholarship.
  • What school did you apply to?
  • I applied to Oxemberg College.
  • I understand the boys’ applications were turned down.
  • Who turned them down?
  • I think the college admissions committee.
  • I’d advise them to try again.

0 comments:

 

SPOKEN ENGLISH