Social Icons

Saturday, January 28, 2012

Expressing Hope, Doubt, Satisfaction



Read the following word groups aloud several times. Please don’t try to learn by-heart. Your sub-conscious mind will do that job, even without your knowledge, and rush onto your tongue whenever required. Yes, your job is just to read these word groups aloud several times.

A.
Expressing hope

I hope to see him soon.
I hope you haven’t paid for it.
I hope so.
I think you’ll like our neighborhood.
I only hope he’ll be able to help them out.
I was hoping for good news this time.
I’m rather hoping the weather’ll be good.
I hope we can make them feel welcome.
I hope she’ll do it.
I just hope he’ll be able to come.
We hope to go there next week.
I very much hope they’d realize its importance.
Hopefully, she’ll bring it with him.
Let’s hope she’ll get better soon.

B.
Expressing doubt


I don’t know.
I find it difficult to believe.
I’m not sure.
I’m not certain.
I’m not sure whether he’s telling the truth.
Perhaps…
I doubt if he’ll reach there in time.
That can’t be true.
That means he didn’t actually meet her?
You did hear him say that, didn’t you?
I think he’s the man, but I can’t be certain.
He may call on us on his way there.
Why was that, then?
That seems unlikely, you know.
Surely, you could have explained it to him?
It’s not clear to me why he did such a thing.
Are you absolutely sure he has left?

C.
Expressing satisfaction

This is very good.
This is just what I meant.
This is just what I need.
This is exactly what I was looking for!
This seems to be all right.
I think it’s just right.
It was okay, I suppose.
It’s OK now. Well, isn’t that lovely!

D.
Expressing dissatisfaction

This is not good.
This is not what I need.
I don’t like it.
I’m not satisfied with what I have done for them
This dress is not quite the right style.
I had in mind something very simple.
That won’t do.
His work isn’t up to the mark.
These shoes seem a little short for me.
I don’t like it like this.

E.
Making promises

I promise you.
I will, I promise.
I will do it.
I promise I’ll do it.
I give you my word.
I promise I won’t.
I won’t be late again, I promise I won’t be.
I won’t repeat it, I promise.
I guarantee you’ll like it.
I’ll never be late again, I promise.
I give you my word, I’ll do it.
I undertake to do it, honestly.
You can leave it tome.
You can count on me.
I’ll buy you a necklace for our wedding anniversary.
I don’t know where he has gone, honestly.
I’ll drop in again when I have more time.
If I can’t come tomorrow, I’ll let you know.
I’ll give you a buzz when we’ve finished.
I promise you I’ll be punctual from now on.
I’ll have him get in touch with you as soon as he comes back.

F.
Pointing things out

Look, here it is.
Look at this.
Look at that.
There it is!
Have you seen this?
Here comes the accused.
May I show you…?
Have you seen this?
Look at this statistics.
What about the new one?

0 comments:

 

SPOKEN ENGLISH