Social Icons

Friday, March 30, 2012

Shopping 2




A.

At the Grocery Store.

  • How much do the potatoes cost?
  • Fifteen cents a pound.
  • I’d like a bag of onions and a jar of olives.
  • Do you need fruit – apples, lemons, plums?
  • Perhaps a box of cherries I’ll put all this in a box.
  • I forgot to buy some rice.
  • How much do you want?
  • Would you please get me two pounds?
  • All right. A two-pound bag.
  • Don’t you need milk or cream?
  • Let’s get some sour cream too.
  • Please give me two bottles of milk.
  • All of our milk is in cartons.
  • Cartons are all right, but I prefer bottles.

B.

At a gift shop

  • Yes, can I help you?
  • Yes, I’m looking for some gift articles.
  • Here we’ve got a stock of fine Titan watches, madam...
  • Let me see...
  • This is the best one madam.
  • But how much does it cost?
  • Yes. It’s expensive. Two thousand rupees… But I tell you it’s worth the money you pay.
  • I’m sorry I can’t afford to pay so much… Let me tell you.
  • This is the right kind of thing for your husband madam.
  • But I’m not married.

C.

Buying a TV

  • Good Morning.
  • Good Morning, sir. Can I help you?
  • I am looking for a colour T.V. Set. What brands do you have?
  • We have all leading brands, sir. The models are also the latest ones.
  • What about Philips colour T.V.?
  • Yes, we do have Philips TVs. They are excellent in performance and we do sell a large number of them.
  • A friend of mine, Mr. Mahesh Reddy, recommended your store to me.
  • Perhaps you know him?
  • Of course, Mr. Reddy is our esteemed customer. He purchased a T.V. just last month from us.
  • Oh dear! I forgot to ask you the price of the T.V. over there. That is a Philips colour T.V., I am sure?
  • It is Rupees fourteen thousand five hundred plus taxes, sir. It is four percent less than the market price here. We give this special discount to our customers because we are the biggest dealers of Philips TVs. In this area.
  • I am very happy to hear that. Can your mechanic come and install it at my place?
  • Just don’t worry, sir. Leave all your problems to us. We shall do everything to satisfy you. Should I get this T.V. packed for you?
  • Yes, I have decided to take it, but one more thing. Can I make the payment by cheque?
  • Yes sir. You can.
  • Thank you very much.
  • Thank you, sir, for your visit. Have a nice day.

D.

Shopping for Groceries

  • What do you call a big grocery store like this?
  • It’s called a “supermarket”.
  • It’s convenient to see everything and pick out what you want.
  • Having these carts to put things in is convenient too.
  • How about fish tonight – salmon, tuna fish, trout?
  • I notice the clams and oysters are fresh today.
  • That sounds very good.
  • Let’s also get a pork roast or turkey for tomorrow.
  • Now we have sugar, salt, pepper and flour.
  • We also need mustard, vinegar and cinnamon.
  • I’ll get those while you get the cabbage and celery.
  • Fine. I’ll meet you at the check-out counter.
  • Would you please get me a bag of sugar?
  • Do you want two or five pounds?
  • A two-pound bag will be all right.
  • OK. I’ll meet you at the canned-food counter.
  • How many eggs should we get?
  • Two dozen should be enough.
  • How much butter do you think we need?
  • One pound is enough, don’t you think?

0 comments:

 

SPOKEN ENGLISH