Social Icons

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Shopping




A.

Talking about Shopping

  • Where do you do your shopping?
  • Usually start at the Central Department Store.
  • What do you think of their selection?
  • They have a good selection, and their prices are low, too.
  • They’re having a big sale at the Greenfield shopping Center.
  • Anything in particular on sale?
  • Well, they advertised linens and house furnishings.
  • I suppose there’ll be crowds of people in the store.
  • I spent the afternoon shopping for clothes.
  • How did you make out?
  • Well, I found an excellent raincoat, and I bought some shoe.
  • That reminds me that I have to go shopping soon.
  • Where did you buy your coat?
  • I bought it at the Fifth Avenue Store-but a long time ago.
  • About how much did it cost?
  • At the moment, I’ve forgotten how much it cost.
  • Why did you choose the green one?
  • To tell the truth, I really didn’t have much choice in my size.
  • Excuse my asking. But how much did you pay for it?
  • It was on sale, and I paid only forty-five dollars.

B.

Asking about Prices

  • How much does this pen cost?
  • I beg your pardon.
  • How much is this pen?
  • Its four dollars and fifty cents.
  • How much is this leather billfold?
  • It’s five twenty-five.
  • Does that include tax?
  • It’s five forty-four including tax.
  • This briefcase costs five fifty.
  • That’s fine. I’ll take it.
  • Will there be anything else?
  • I don’t believe so, thank you.
  • Are office supplies on sale too?
  • Let’s see. That’ll be twenty-one fifty.

C.

Buying things

  • How much is that?
  • How much does that sell for?
  • How much are these oranges?
  • Give me a kilo of apples.
  • Pick out big ones, please.
  • Excuse me. I’d like a shirt for myself.
  • A packet of cigarettes, please.
  • I’d like to buy 3 kilos of apples.
  • They must have no spoiled spots in them.
  • I’d like to see some belts, please.
  • Let me see what you have in handkerchiefs.
  • Give me a tube of toothpaste.
  • I don’t suppose you have anything cheaper?
  • Can I have a 10-rupee postal order please?
  • Which of these do you think are better?
  • I’m looking for a radio.
  • I think I will take this one.
  • Have you got a bigger size?
  • What’s the price of this washing machine?
  • Well, I’ll take half a dozen of those, please.
  • Oh, it’s more expensive, is it?
  • Have you got a different style?
  • These are small.
  • Have you any that are slightly larger?
  • Let me see some pens, please.

D.

Getting help in Stores

  • Do you need any assistance?
  • Yes. How much is that pen?
  • This one or that one?
  • The one next to the black one.
  • May I help you?
  • Yes. I’d like to look at pens.
  • Certainly. Fountain pens or ball-point pens?
  • I’m looking for a good fountain pen.
  • Could you help me, please?
  • What can I do for you?
  • Could I look at the wristwatch in this case?
  • Just one moment, please, while I get the key.
  • Hello. Are you waited upon?
  • No. I’d like a ream of typing paper, please.
  • Will there be anything else?
  • No. I believe that’s all, thank you.
  • Is someone helping you?
  • I beg your pardon?
  • Could I help you with anything?
  • No, thanks. Someone is already waiting on me.

0 comments:

 

SPOKEN ENGLISH