Social Icons

Sunday, October 28, 2012

Talking About Cooking & Dieting


A. Describing a dish
 
To describe a dish, use:
  • It’s (sweet/cold).
  • It’s a (meat) dish.
  • It’s cooked in (sauce).
  • It tastes very good / spicy / rich
  • Is it (fried)?
  • How is it cooked?
  • What does it taste like?

B. Describing cooking processes
 
  • It’s (not) very easy / simple.
  • You need (about a kilo of chicken).
  • You cook it slowly, for about (forty) minutes.
  • It takes (about an hour).
  • You  put it in the oven/in the fridge.
  • You fry it in a little oil or fat.
  • After that, you add (pepper).
  • The recipe says (two glasses of wine).
  • What’s the recipe?
  • How do you make (this)?
  • How long do you (bake) it?
  • Do you use (milk)?

C. Describing types of cooking
 
  • It’s (French/Italian).
  • It’s a typical (Indian) dish.
  • The recipe comes from (Mexico)
  • Where is this from?
  • Is this a (Spanish) dish?
  • What do you think of (Indian) food?
  • Do you like (it)?
  • What’s (Lebanese) food like?
  • What’s a typical (Lebanese) dish?
  • I don’t like (Japanese) food.
  • I prefer (western) to (eastern) food.
  • My favourite dish is (Chicken Manjurian)

D. Asking about daily diet
 
  • _______________ Do you eat (eggs)?
  • _______________ What do you have for (breakfast)?
  • _______________ What’s a normal (lunch) for you?
  • _______________ What do you normally do for (dinner)?
  • _______________ Do you eat a lot of (pasta)?

E. Describing normal diet
 
  • We usually have (three meals a day).
  • We often have (eggs for breakfast).
  • I don’t eat much (meat).
  • They eat a lot of (fruit).
  • They don’t eat a lot in the (evening).

F. Asking about dieting
 
  • Are you on diet?
  • Can you eat anything?
  • Do you eat anything?
  • Are you dieting?
  • What are you allowed to eat?

G. Talking about dieting
 
  • I’m on a diet.
  • The doctor’s put me on a diet.
  • I’m dieting.
  • I’m trying to lose weight.
  • I have to be careful of what I eat.
  • I’m not allowed to (eat bread).
  • I can’t (drink coffee).
  • Is there any (salt) in this?
  • I’m not allowed to have (salt)
  • Does this have (alcohol) in it?
  • I have to restrict myself to (600) calories a day
  • How many calories are you allowed a day?
  • How many calories are there in (this)?

1 comments:

shampa Thakur said...

Reading is good "Passive" way of improving vocabulary, but when you are resorting to making lists, that is "Active" method. Problem with active method of learning words is that it is cumbersome and boring, and you doing retain and unless you use it in writing sentences to apply the word, very little chance is that you increase your lexical size.
Improve Your Vocabulary - VocabMonk is an active learning tool which is personalized and makes sure you grasp the learnt words by applying it. It is lot of fun too as you can play vocab challenges with your friends.
Give it a shot!

 

SPOKEN ENGLISH