Social Icons

Saturday, October 27, 2012

Dealing with the Police / Fire / Ambulance



A. Telephoning emergency services
 
  • When you phone emergency, they ask:
  • Where are you?
  • Where is it?
  • What’s happened?
  • Can you give me an idea about the correct location?
  • Your reply:
  • Fire/Police/Ambulance.
  • I’m at/It’s at (the corner of South Street)
  • It’s on the main road.
  • It’s about two kilometers north of Mg road.
  • There’s an accident/a fire.
  • There are (several) people injured.
  • There’s a fire/an accident.
  • There’s someone very ill/badly hurt.
  • There are (two) people in the water.
  • Someone’s been badly hurt / injured.

B. Stating the case
 
  • I’d like to report (an accident/a robbery).
  • I want to report (a crime/an attack).
  • I’m reporting a (missing passport).
  • I've lost (my bag).
  • My (wife) has been robbed.
  • My (car) has been stolen.
  • There’s been (an accident).
  • I've been (robbed).

C. Giving the circumstances
 
  • We were walking along the street.
  • We were asleep.
  • I was working/having dinner.
  • I was shopping / stepping into the bank.
  • It was at about (ten o’clock).
  • It was yesterday evening/last night.
  • It was in the hotel/in the street.
  • This was on the beach/in the car park
  • Two men took away (my wife’s handbag).
  • A man/A woman came up to me.
  • Someone picked my pocket.
  • They ran away / They drove off.
  • I didn’t see anyone.
  • I didn’t see / hear / notice anything.

D. Describing
 
  • He/She was about (25).
  • They were (quite young).
  • They were (tall).
  • She had a (light build).
  • He/She had (short dark hair).
  • They were driving a (cab).

E. Notifying a Loss
 
  • I've lost my (passport).
  • I can’t find my (Money)?
  • I think I've lost my (driving license).
  • I've lost a (new Canon camera).
  • What have you lost?
  • What was it like?
  • What does it look like?
  • Can you describe it?

F. Describing when & where
 
  • I know I had it (this morning)
  • I must have lost it (last night)
  • I last saw it (yesterday morning)
  • How long has it been lost?
  • When did you last see it?
  • I lost it (on the beach).
  • I left it behind (on the train).
  • It was (in my room).
  • I may have left it (in the bank).
  • I must have lost it (at the theatre).
  • Where did you last see it?
  • Where was it?

G. Leaving personal details
 
  • My name is…
  • My address is…
  • Here is my card.
  • Here is my name and address.
  • Please ring me at (this number) if you find it.
  • Please write to (this address)
  • Can you return it to me at (this address)?
  • What is your name and address?
  • Could I have your name and address?

H. Stating urgency
 
  • This is (very) urgent.
  • It’s an emergency.
  • There’s an emergency (here).
  • It’s very serious.
  • It looks very serious.
  • We need help urgently.
  • We need a police car/an ambulance,
  • We need a police car/ an ambulance immediately
  • Call the fire brigade/the hospital at once.
  • Get a doctor/policeman straight away.
  • We urgently need a rescue boat/an ambulance.

0 comments:

 

SPOKEN ENGLISH