Social Icons

Thursday, October 4, 2012

Asking for Facilities Toilet / Washing / Luggage



A. Asking for the Toilet
In a private house, use:
  • May I use your lavatory?
  • Where is the lavatory?

In public place, use:
  • Where are the toilets?

For a man, use:
  • Where is the gents’?
  • I need to use the gents’?

For a Woman, use:
  • Where is the ladies’?
  • I need to use the ladies’

To be informal in America, use:
  • Where is the john?
  • I want to meet john.

To be informal in Britain, use:
  • Where is the loo?
  • I want to use the loo.

B. Asking for a bathroom
In a private house, use:
  • May I have a wash?
  • I’m rather dirty.
  • I’m feeling a bit dirty
  • Could I use your bathroom?
  • I’d like to wash my hands.

In a public place, use:
  • Is there a washroom/bathroom here?
  • Is there somewhere here I can clean up?
  • I want to wash my hands.

In a hotel or guest house, you may need:
  • Where is the shower?
  • Where is the bathroom?

C. Washing clothes
To find out where to wash clothes, use:
  • Is there a launderette near here?
  • Where is the nearest launderette/Laundromat?
  • I need to wash/dry clean some clothes.

To get someone else to do the washing, use:
  • Is there a laundry here?
  • Is there a laundry service here?
  • I want to have some clothes washed.
  • I want to have some clothes dry cleaned.

D. To ask about left-luggage facilities.
 
  • Is there anywhere here I can leave my bags?
  • Is there a left-luggage place near here?
  • Can I leave my luggage place near here?
  • Can I leave my luggage anywhere here?
  • Where are the nearest left-luggage lockers?
  • I don’t want to carry this around with me.
  • Can I leave these here until four o’clock?
  • Will your office be open after six o’clock?
  • Do I pay now, or when I collect?
  • Please be careful with the brown bag.

E. At the lockers
 
To ask someone for change, use:
  • Excuse me; have you got change for a pound?
  • Have you got any change for this?

To ask someone for help, use:
  • Do you know how to work these things?
  • Could you give me a hand with this?

If something goes wrong, use:
  • Excuse me, are you in charge of the left-luggage lockers?
  • My (case) is too big/it won’t fit in.
  • I put the money in/I put my luggage in.
  • I can’t open it/I can’t make it work.
  • I can’t get my luggage out.
  • I can’t get my money back.

F. To ask if you can leave bags somewhere
  • Would it be possible for me to leave there?
  • Can I leave these here (until about six)?
  • Could you (please) look after (this) for me?
  • I’ll pick it/them up (at six o’clock)
  • Could I leave (my luggage) here (for an hour)?
  • I’ll be back (in a few hours)

To identify your baggage, use:
  • The (green) one is mine.
  • Mine is (brown).
  • I left (two suitcases) here.

0 comments:

 

SPOKEN ENGLISH