Social Icons

Saturday, February 25, 2012

Asking Directions




A.

Conversation I

A:        Where’s the Post office?
B:        It’s near the Rajbhavan.

A:        How far is that from here?
B:        About half a kilometer, I think.

A:        Where’s the Rajbhavan?
B:        It’s in the south of the city.

A:        What’s the best way to get there?
B:        Take Bus No 301.

A:        What street is the local library on?
B:        I don’t know.

A:        How can I find out?
B:        Why don’t you enquire in that shop?

B.

Conversation II

A. Excuse me. Is there a supermarket near here?
B. Yes. There’s one near here.

A. How do I get there?
B. At the traffic lights, take the first left and go straight. It’s on the left.

A. Is it far?
B. Not really.

A. Thank you.
B. Don’t mention it.

C.

Conversation III

A. Excuse me. Is there a bank near here?
B. Yes. There’s one at the corner.

A. Thank you.
B. You’re welcome.

D.

Asking the way

  • To ask people for directions, use:
    • Excuse me!
    • Where is (the police station)?
    • Could you direct me to (the station)?
    • How do I get to (the main street)?
    • Could you tell me the way to (the park)?

  • If you want special directions, use:
    • Which is the quickest way to (the Post Office)?
    • What’s the best way to (the city centre)?

  • If you are in a car, you can also use:
    • What’s the easiest way to (the coast road)?
    • Is there parking (in the centre)?

  • Asking about distances, use:
    • How far is it?
    • How long will it take (on foot/by car/by bus)?
    • Can I do it in (ten minutes)?
    • Should I take (a taxi)?

E.

Giving directions

  • To tell people the way, use:
    • It’s near the (church)
    • Go straight on/straight ahead
    • Turn left/right at the (second) street
    • Go towards (the park) and turn left
    • Cross/go across the road
    • Go over/under the bridge
    • Go along the street
    • Go past the (Post Office)

  • To identify the place, use:
    • It’s the (first) street
    • It’s the (first) on the left/right
    • It’s on the left/right hand side of the road

  • To tell people distances, use:
    • It’s quite far
    • It’s too far to walk
    • It’s not very far/it’s quite near here
    • It’s about (two) kilometers
    • It’s (ten minutes) on foot/walking
    • It’s (an hour’s) walk/drive
    • You should allow (an hour)
    • You should take (a taxi)

0 comments:

 

SPOKEN ENGLISH