Social Icons

Saturday, February 11, 2012

Use of Shall, Should, Will, Would




A.

There is no semantic differences when shall and will are used to refer to the simple future. Shall is used in the First Person and will in all persons to express pure future. Today I / we shall is less common than I / we will; as,

I will be twenty-seven next birthday.
We will need the money on Thursday.
When shall we see you again?
Tomorrow will be Monday.
You will see that I am right.

B.

Shall is often used in questions in the first person singular and plural when making suggestions, making suggestions, making an offer or asking for advice:

Shall we go out for dinner tonight?
Shall I get more tomato juice when I’m at the supermarket?
What shall we do now? We’re clearly not going to get there by nightfall.
However, when we want to express a strong intention to do something, we use will or’ll in the first person singular and plural:

‘Is that somebody at the door? I’ll just go and see who it is.’
‘We’ll get the cakes for breakfast, Jane.’
‘No, no. I will. I’m the hostess, after all.’

Questions with shall I/we are used to ask the will of the person addressed; as,

Shall I open the window? (i.e., Do you want me to open it?)
Which bag shall I buy? (i.e., What is your advice?)
Where shall we go? (i.e, What is your suggestion?)

C.

Will is used to express

1. Willingness, promise, determination, threat, and refusal;

         I will lend you the money.                           (=am willing to)
         I will carry your luggage.                             (=am willing to)
         I will try my best to help you                       (=promise to)
         I will try doing better next time.                  (=promise to)
         I will do better or die in the attempt.           (=am determined to)
         I will never agree to such an arrangement.  (=am determined to)
         I will never forgive him.                              (=threat)
         I will prevent you from moving forward.    (=threat)
         I will not come with you                              (=refusal)
         I will not give you any ore money               (=refusal)

2. Characteristic habit; as,      

He will talk about nothing but films.
She will sit for hours listening to the wireless.

3. Assumption or probability; as,

This will be the book you want, I suppose.
That will be the postman, I think.

4. Indicates an invitation or a request:

Will you have tea?
Will you lend me your scooter?
Will you dine with us tomorrow?

5. An order

Will you go away now?
You will listen to what I say.

D.

Should and would are used as the past equivalents of shall and will:

I expected that I would get a first class.
He said he would be twenty-five next birthday.
She said she would carry my books.
She would sit for hours listening to the wireless. (Past habit)

E.

Should is used in all persons to express duty or obligation:

We should obey the laws.
You should keep your promise.
Children should obey their parents.
F.

In clauses of condition, should is used to express a supposition that may not be true.

If it should rain, they will not come.
If he should see me here, he will be annoyed.

G.

Should is used to give advice and make recommendations and to talk about obligation, duty and what is expected to happen. Reference is to the present and the future. Should is similar to must but is not as strong as must:

You should always wear a helmet.
The cooked meat inside should be consumed within 3 days.
Should I tell her that her son is playing truant and skipping school?
~ I think you should. She should know about it.

H.

Would is also used to make polite requests:

  • ‘Would you be prepared to do all this work by yourself without any assistance?’
  • ‘Would you (be so kind as to) pick Jennifer up from school on Monday?’

I.

Would (or its contracted form ‘d in conversational English) is also associated with the conditional in its simple, progressive, perfect and passive aspects:

There’s no doubt about it. I would definitely (I’d definitely) travel to Mexico with you, if I could afford it.

You would still be (you’d still be) working for the World Bank, if you hadn’t kicked up such a fuss.

I would have told you (I’d have told you) all about it, if you had phoned me.

If you wore smarter clothes, you would be invited (you’d be invited) to all the press conferences.

J.

‘Would’ in offers

Would you like…? Is often used when making offers, as the more polite alternative to ‘Do you want…?

Would you like coffee, or would you prefer tea?
~ I’d love some tea.

Would you rather eat now or later after the film?
~I’d rather eat now. I’m starving!

I can see you’re struggling. Would you like me to help you with that?

0 comments:

 

SPOKEN ENGLISH