Social Icons

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Bringing a Conversation to a Close



A.
Getting someone to explain something you have not understood

Read the following phrases below. Work with a partner. Speaker A introduces some difficult words and phrases into the dialogue so that Speaker B has to ask for explanations using these suggested strategies:


    1. What do you mean?
    2. What do you mean by_______?
    3. Do you mean that ____? OR Does that mean that____?
    4. What exactly does that mean?
    5. What are you saying/trying to say?
    6. Don’t you mean___?
    7. What exactly does_______mean?
    8. Could/Would you explain this word, please?
    9. Sorry, I didn’t understand the word….
    10. Sorry, I’m lost. /I’m afraid you lost me there.
    11. Sorry, I don’t/didn’t quite follow you / what you were saying about…
    12. I’m not sure I understand/follow you.
    13. I’m afraid I don’t understand.
    14. I don’t quite see what you mean/what you are getting at I’m afraid….
    15. I’m sorry, I’m not quite clear on…
    16. I don’t get you/I don’t get it ‘I don’t get the point.
B.
General apologies:

“I am sorry you feel that way.”
“I’m sorry about this situation.”
“I apologize for this situation.”
“I feel bad that you are upset about this.”

C
More specific apologies:

“I don’t blame you for being upset. I would be too.”
“I am very sorry about your bill. I thought we had corrected it.”
“I apologize for this situation. We’ll get this straightened out right away.”
“Please accept my apology for the misunderstanding.”
“It is our fault and I am sorry we didn’t do what we said we would.”

D.
Bringing a conversation to a close

I've got to go now…
I really must go/must be going/must be off, now…
Well, I should be/I’d better be going/moving/getting on my way…
I guess I ought to get back…
I must be back to work…
I’m awfully sorry, but I’m expecting someone in five minutes.
I’d better let you go. I’d better not take any more of your time.
Thanks for your time. Once again, thank you very much.
It’s been very nice talking to you.
We’ll have to get together again some time.
Well, anyway, keep in touch.
Well, anyway, keep me posted.
Let me know how to get on.
So, I’ll see you soon/next week.
See you some time soon, I hope.
I apologize to cut you short, but I’ve got to wrap this up.
I hope everything goes well.
Look after yourself.
Take care.
Well, I have an n appointment now.
I’m in quite a hurry too.
Good to see you. Goodbye.
Goodbye. Take care of yourself.
It’s getting late, and I have to go now…
We’re sorry you have to leave.
Please excuse me, won’t you?
Certainly. Come back soon.
I’m glad to have met you.
Thank you. It was nice to have seen you.
I hope we can get together again.
Yes. I’ll be looking forward to it.
I think I have to leave now.
Must you go so soon?
I’m afraid I really have to.
Well, it was fun to get together again.

E.
Proverbs and platitudes which can be used to conclude a conversation:

That’s life.
That’s just the way it goes.
That’s the way of the world.
Things always work out for the best.
Makes you think, doesn’t it?
You never can tell.
Let’s wait and see.
Doesn’t time fly so fast?
It happens to the best of us/to us all.
It comes to us all.
You’ve got to take the rough with the smooth.
You can’t please everyone.
You can’t win them all.
You can’t have everything.
Every could has a silver lining.
It’ll turn out for the best.

0 comments:

 

SPOKEN ENGLISH