Seeing the Doctor
Doctor : Hello, what’s the matter?
John : Good morning. I have a terrible ache in my lower back.
Doctor : How long has your back been bothering you?
John : I’ve been having pain for about two weeks.
Doctor : Do you have any history of back problems?
John : No, this is the first time.
Doctor : Are you taking any medicine at the moment?
John : No, just an aspirin from time to time to kill the pain.
Doctor : OK. Let’s have a look at your back. Please take off your shirt ….
Asking for a doctor
- I want a doctor
- I want to see a doctor
- I want medical advice
- I want to speak to a doctor
- I’m not moving till I see a doctor
- I’m not doing anything until I’ve spoken to a doctor
- I want a medical examination
- I’d like you to examine/look at me
- I’d like medical advice on (this)
- What’s wrong?
- What’s the matter?
- What seems to be the problem?
- What seems to be the matter?
- Where does it hurt?
- Can you feel (anything here)?
- Do you have any allergies?
- Can you (touch your toes)?
- Are you allergic to (anything)?
- Are you taking any medicine/drugs?
- Have you been treated for (this) before?
- Have you seen a doctor about this before?
- Have you been eating/sleeping properly?
- When did you last visit your doctor?
- Do you take much exercise?
- How much do you drink/smoke a day/a week?
- Have you been working hard?
- Do you suffer from (indigestion/nervousness)?
- Do you get any (headaches/dizziness)?
In the consulting room
- Take your coat/shirt off
- Sit down
- Take your clothes off
- Lie down on that (couch)
- Go behind that (screen)
- Roll up your left/right sleeve
- Breathe deeply
- Breathe in/out
- Open your mouth / Put your tongue out
- Let me see your tongue /leg/eyes
- Bend your (left arm)
- Put your /(hands on your hips)
- I’m going to (listen to your chest)
- I’m going to (touch your shoulder)
- I’m just going to (test your reflexes)
- I want to (take your blood pressure)
- Tell me if this hurts
- This won’t hurt / This may hurt a bit
Talking about treatment
- Stay in bed for a few days
- Take it easy / rest
- Don’t work too hard
- Come back and see me (next Tuesday)
- Come back if it doesn’t get better
- You’ve been working too hard
- You must (stop smoking)
- Keep taking (the medicine)
Talking about medicines
- You can get this at the chemist’s/pharmacy
- Take this to the chemist/pharmacy
- The chemist will give you (a cream)
- This will help your (headaches)
- Take this/these (four) times a day
- Take (5) milliliters in water
- Take a (teaspoonful) after every meal
- Don’t (drive after taking this)
- You mustn’t (consume alcohol in conjunction with these pills)
- You must (finish the whole bottle)
- Don’t (take any aspirin)
- Put it on/Rub it on (your knee)
Referring you to another doctor
- I want you to see a specialist
- I think you should have an X-ray
- I want you to go to the clinic/hospital
- I’m making an appointment for you
- Take this letter to (Doctor Smith)
- I’m giving you a letter for the hospital
- We’re going to keep you here for observation
- We want to do some tests / take an X-ray
- You’ve got a (virus infection)
- There’s nothing broken; It’s nothing serious
- You’ll have to stay here (for a few days)