Social Icons

Thursday, September 6, 2012

Asking & Giving Explanations



A.
Sometimes, things happen that we would like explanation and we must demand explanations. For example, if you have just bought a new computer and there is a problem but the shop assistant says that the guaranty does not cover the problem. There are a number of formulas used when demanding explanations in English. Here are some of the most common:

Can you tell me why….?
Can you tell me why it has taken you so long to respond?

I don’t understand why…
I don’t understand why it has taken you so long to respond?

Can you explain why…?
Can you explain why it has taken you so long to respond?

Why is it that…
Why is it that it has taken you so long to respond?

How come…
How come it has taken you so long to respond?

Does this mean…
Does this mean that it has taken you so long to respond?

Do you really expect me to believe…?
Do you really expect me to believe that you weren’t able to finish on time?

B. Asking for explanations
 
  • What does that mean?
  • What’s the meaning of that word?
  • Does that mean yes or no?
  • I’m afraid I don’t understand.
  • Could you explain the first part please?

  • If it becomes clear, use:
  • I see/ I understand.
  • Thank you, I see now.

  • If it’s still not clear, use:
  • I still don’t see/understand.

  • To be more formal, use:

  • I’m afraid I still don’t understand/follow.

C. Giving explanations
 
  • When people don’t understand you, use:
  • I mean this
  • I’m trying to say this
  • In other words, on Thursday
  • What I mean is this…

To check if people understand, use:

  • Do you understand?
  • Is that the right word?
  • Am I making myself clear?

To rephrase something, use a different order:

  • There’s something wrong with my car.
  • I’ll be out on Friday.
  • In other words, on Friday I won’t be here.

D. Actions and processes

To explain an action or process, use:
 
  • We do it like this because it’s quicker.
  • That was because we were late.
  • It’s to prevent people from parking here.
  • The reason for this is money.
  • It’s caused by the hot weather.

To ask for explanations, use:

  • Why?
  • Why did he do that?
  • What’s the reason for this?
  • Can you explain this?

0 comments:

 

SPOKEN ENGLISH